Points: 20 pts
Due date: Friday, Oct. 12 at 11:59 p.m.
Resources: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Capture, Photoshop Mix, Adobe Spark
Summary: Analyze a global brand and develop a short video that presents a breakdown of the brand elements.
For this assignment, you will work with a partner to analyze a global brand and create a new creative concept based on the brand elements. The first part of the assignment will focus on analyzing the brand and identifying the company’s brand elements.
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Capture
- Photoshop Mix
- ARTICLE: The World’s Most Valuable Brands – Forbes
- ARTICLE: Best Global Brands – Interbrand
Step 1: Brand Selection
Review the list of the top 50 global brands with your partner. Decide on the top three brands you would like to work with for this assignment.
Your instructor will collect the brand selections from all of the groups, then will assign brands to each group to ensure there are no duplications in the class.
Step 2: Research – Collect & Organize
Once you’ve been assigned a brand, your first step is to research your client’s brand with an emphasis on the visual elements they use to construct a cohesive brand narrative.
- Shared Document – Create a shared Google document or presentation files that you will use to collect images of your brand.
- Collect Brand Examples – Begin collecting items for your brand and placing them in your document. Don’t worry about sizing and organization yet. The goal is to get as many visual examples of your company’s brand as possible.
- Begin by going to the company website
- Then, visit their social media channels
- Finally, do an online search for your brand.
- Best of Collection – Once you have at least 15-20 different images of your brand, create a new page and select a “best of” from your image collection that begins to create a visual representation of your brand on a single page of your document. Size and copy your images as necessary
NOTE: You don’t need to turn anything in for this step, but you will want to keep your organized collection of brand materials to use throughout this assignment.
Step 3: Analyze – Brand Elements
Create a shared document to capture your work for this sept. Work with your partner to analyze the brand based on the following criteria.
Messages – What are the persistent messages the client uses to express their brand, including its value and relevance to the customer.
Subjects/Customer – Who is the customer in these ads? How are they portrayed? What are the visual cues that help identify the customer’s status, values, beliefs, interests, etc.?
Products – What products are shown?
Problem/Solution – What customer problems are presented in advertisements, the company’s online presence, and other channels?
Value Proposition – What is the overall value proposition for the brand? What are the value propositions for individual products or product lines?
Brand Promise & Position – Considering the customers, problems, products, and value propositions you identified, what is the overall brand promise and positioning for this brand?
Visual Elements – Identify the persistent visual elements that the company uses to convey their brand. Make sure to pay attention to the persistent visual elements used over time and the visual elements used in the current campaigns.
The persistent visual brand elements should include:
- Color palette
- Photography Style
- Other graphics and visual elements
Advertising Formats & Media – Which advertising formats does the company utilize? Which media channels do they use?
NOTE: You don’t need to turn anything in for this step. You will use your notes to develop your Brand Video Presentation in the next step.
Step 4: Brand Video Presentation
Create a 2-3 minute video, using Adobe Spark, that identifies the following for your brand:
- The client (the brand you selected)
- Brand Promise
- Core messages
- Value proposition(s)
- The key visual elements that define their brand
You should use examples from current and previous campaigns throughout your presentation.
Step 5: Present your Video
Teams will present their completed videos to the class.
Turn it in
- Review your video – make sure it includes all of the required elements defined in Step 4 (above).
- Proofread and check grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation
- Log in to the 381 Blackboard, go to the Assignment Dropboxes section, and locate Assignment 3: Brand Story Video
- Under the Assignment Submission section, select Browse my Computer, and locate your final document file on your computer
- Select Submit
Your main goal with this task is accuracy and completion. Using elements of the standard Concept Development & Creativity rubric – you will be graded on content, completion, and conventions. Your instructor is looking for the following criteria:
- Design & Planning: The concept is well designed, planned, and executed. It demonstrates a cohesive solution.
- Audience: Concept shows evidence of consistent attention to audience and purpose.
- Graphics and Media: Photos, icons, and other artwork are used creatively and work together thematically.
- Content and Messaging: Content is creatively written and cleverly presented. Message platform is evident throughout.
- Convention: Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization are correct. No errors in the text.
- Resource Documentation: Student(s) demonstrate evidence of documentation throughout digital assets where possible including giving credit to any websites, photos articles, blogs or other resources used.